Like most guys out there, I don’t like to try very hard when it comes to the clothes I wear, but I also prefer to make an effort to not look like I’m missing a chromosome. Here are a handful of easy tips that I follow when it comes to keeping it classy.
1. Never underestimate a clean, white collar shirt with a narrow tie and jeans. It works for almost every occasion, and people will notice that you look slightly less homeless than usual. A simple go-to outfit when you’re unsure of the manner of dress for a dinner or night out. Make sure your jeans are long enough to cover the laces on your shoes, but not long enough to trip over. If you can’t tie a tie, go here or ask your Significant Other for assistance. Don’t wear a black t-shirt under the collar shirt; keep it white and tight.
2. Every guy should own at least one nice blazer. It works with slacks and jeans alike, and can be worn over almost any graphic t-shirt or solid-colored collar shirt. A painless way to feign effort when you’re lazy; I usually keep a black blazer in my car, just in case. When you’re looking for the proper fit, hold your arms straight out to your sides, and the sleeves of the blazer should be about an inch higher than where your wrist bone is. Anything longer makes you look like you’re wearing your Dad’s clothes. Keep it fitted and make sure the pinstripes aren’t a noisy deal-breaker.
3. White socks make you look like a tourist, and match almost nothing. Convert to black and simply keep a few pairs of the white socks around for when you’re exercising or hanging around the house. Never wear white socks with black pants, and God help you if you wear them with sandals (in fact, just never wear sandals, ever). When in doubt, always go with solid black.
Classic-Ribbed Black Socks – Gap – $6
4. This all means nothing without a decent belt, watch and pair of shoes. Just keep the belts black, the shoes scuff-free and the watch polished. Also, go with leather if you can stomach it; when it comes to belts and footwear, I don’t screw around with cloth and hemp. Wearing a watch that isn’t set to the correct time is worse than wearing no watch at all; this happens to me all the time, and women constantly notice that kind of stuff. It makes you look disorganized and lazy.
5. When all else fails, get yourself a girlfriend. This is the easiest way to make sure that you never leave the house looking like an extra in a David Fincher movie.
To recap, by purchasing just one pair of jeans, one pair of slacks, two ties, three collar shirts and a black blazer, you’ve essentially improved your wardrobe by dozens of mix-and-match outfits that will function under a multitude of social settings. Keep ’em wrinkle, lint and spot-free, and you’re pretty much set for the rest of the year.
Don’t say I never did anything for your dishevled ass. Sound off in the comments section and enjoy your day.